Sunday, April 1, 2007

Refund Anticipation Loans Part 2

In January I wrote this post about how tax prep firms were getting into the Refund Anticipation Loan (RAL) business.

Now, according to this NY Times article, fewer people are making this financial mistake. Apparently the number of these loans has decreased 22.5%. All I can say is THANK GOD! These loans made me sick because they allowed people who know better to prey on those who don't. Lack of knowledge isn't a great excuse, but there is a level of trust involved when someone hires a financial professional of any sort (tax, investment, etc.). People assume that the person they're hiring isn't going to screw them over. Unfortunately that is what often happens.

The solution? Education! Education! Education! I keep talking about it, eventually I'm going to do it. I want to start a non-profit that is dedicated to getting financial education in our school systems. Until that happens though, I call on all of you! Particularly those of you who have kids. Get involved with your kids school and get the parents together to lobby for financial education requirements. The squeeky wheel gets the oil so come on people! Squeek loud!

0 comments: